‘90s beauty is back in a major way this season, and the grunge lipstick trend has been picking up steam. When boy bands ruled the music charts and butterfly hair clips graced the red carpet, every makeup bag was equipped with an arsenal of moody shades—from dirty reds to frosted plums and deep browns—and they’re begging to be worn again.
If you usually stick to pink or nude hues on your pout, consider this the right time to try experimenting with darker shades. “We are obsessed with the new take on grunge lips shown on the FW18 runways,” our founder and CEO Gabriel De Santino recently told Teen Vogue. “Instead of black or dark violets, think: deep, rich red wines and brownish plums.”
Check out 11 of our favorite shades below and revisit the old-made-new again ‘90s trend ASAP—ripped up jeans, grown-out roots, smudged eyeliner, and oversized flannel not included.
- Currant: a stained red wine
- Rapture: a matte reddish brown
- Chocolate Cherry: a dark reddish brown
- Clay: a muted brownish plum
- Meritage: a full-bodied wine
- Femme Fatale: a deep red wine
- Indulgence: a reddish plum with gold shimmer
- Maple Shimmer: a muted berry with shimmer
- Matte Spice: a brown berry
- Lux: a copper red with warm shimmer
- Velour: a mid-tone plum with cool frost