Simple Things You Can Do to Help Save the Ocean
Posted on June 06 2018
A healthy world ocean is critical to our survival, and with World Oceans Day here we want to encourage you to honor, help protect, and conserve our shared ocean.
Aside from generating most of the oxygen we breathe, the ocean also regulates our climate, helps feed us, cleans the water we drink, offers a multitude of medicines, and so much more. Here at Gabriel Cosmetics, Inc. we believe in the miraculous healing properties of the ocean and we’re passionate about protecting and preserving it—which is why we’ve partnered with the Oceanic Preservation Society (read more about the organization here).
But what can you do? Easy changes to our everyday lives can make a big impact. Check out the list below of simple things you can do to help save the ocean—it’s up to each one of us to make sure that our ocean is healthy for future generations.
1. Just say no to plastic straws and opt for a stainless steel one instead.
2. Bring reusable bags when you shop to reduce waste.
3. Participate in an advocacy campaigns or aquatic cleanups—you can find a list of current ways to help here.
4. Reduce energy consumption by switching to compact fluorescent light bulbs, take the stairs, and bundle up or use a fan to avoid over setting your thermostat.
5. Travel the ocean responsibly—never throw anything overboard, and be aware of marine life in the waters around you.
6. Kick your plastic bottle habit to the curb to stop debris buildup.
7. Make safe and sustainable seafood choices.
8. Vote responsibly and encourage your representatives to support marine conservation initiatives.
9. Avoid washing your car at home as it empties into untreated waterways.
10. Don’t purchase items that exploit marine life.
11. Support organizations—like the Oceanic Preservation Society—working to protect the ocean.