How to DIY Ombré Nails at Home
Posted on March 25 2020
While the ombré nail trend isn’t new, it’s definitely back in a big way this season. The best part? It’s super easy to DIY at home with supplies you already have on hand, and the end result can be as bold or as subtle as you want—red and black, three varying shades of pink, electric blue and peach, mint green and white… the options for color combinations are endless.
We break down the items you’ll need and the steps to take to try the trend below.
- Cut the wedge makeup sponge to make the flat edge more narrow, roughly as wide as your nail.
- Apply a layer of Base Coat to your nails and let it fully dry.
- Brush the two or three Nail Polish colors of choice onto the wedge makeup sponge in straight lines that slightly overlap.
- Blot the wedge makeup sponge gently onto your nail to transfer the polish, repeating steps three and four until each of your nails is complete. If needed, blot the sponge several times to transfer the polish evenly onto the nail.
- Apply a layer of Top Coat immediately after sponging to help blur the polishes together, enhance the overall look, and prevent chipping.
- Use a cleanup brush (or Q-tips) and Nail Polish Remover to remove any polish that got onto the skin around your nails.
Voilà, on-trend manicure achieved.