Dewy vs. Matte Foundation? How To Choose
Posted on May 19 2021
Picking out a foundation can be tricky business—choosing the right shade and formula can make your entire look, while choosing the wrong shade and formula can break your entire look. But before you even get to shade selection, it’s important to consider whether you want a more dewy or matte finish when your face is complete.We break down how to choose between a dewy and matte foundation and what the pros and cons are of each type of formula.
A dewy foundation is formulated to help your skin look more hydrated, glowing, and add a subtle sheen. They typically contain ingredients that reflect light, nourish the skin, and reduce the appearance of aging. Products that fall under this category can range from sheer tinted moisturizers to full coverage liquid formulas.
- Helps skin appear more hydrated
- Easy to build and blend for desired coverage
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines
- Range in coverage types from sheer to full
- Reflects light luminously on the face
- Doesn’t always last through the day
- Has a harder time covering hyperpigmentation
- Can appear greasy looking on skin that is more oily
- Can cause skin to look noticeably shiny
- Can enhance the look of acne or breakouts
A matte foundation is formulated to help your skin look completely free of shine, velvety, and totally even. They typically contain ingredients that are non-reflective, combat oil, and provide incredible coverage. Products that fall under this category can range from powders to creams to liquid formulas.
- Provides full and total coverage
- Eliminates any shine
- Tends to be more long-lasting
- Available in all different types of formulas
- Totally oil-free and camouflages oily skin
- Can enhance the look of dry skin
- Can be more difficult to blend
- Makes facial hair look more obvious
- Can look heavy or “cakey” on skin
- Can fall into fine lines and wrinkles
Ready to choose? Our Moisturizing Liquid Foundation is best for those who want a dewy appearance, while our Oil-Free Liquid Foundation provides the pros of a matte finish without the cons. If you want the best of both worlds, our Dual Powder Foundation and Mineral Powder can both be applied dry for a matte finish and wet with a damp makeup sponge for a dewy finish.